1) Download and install the free VMware Player here:
Get VMware Player
2) Download the DSL Linux iso file Click here to get DSL Linux, and save it on your PC this path:
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player
3) Download the VM control file unzip it and save it here C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player. Then create a desktop shortcut. Download Here: Click here for Control file
Once installed simply click the desktop icon and boot Linux within the VMware Player window. From there you can open the Dillo or Firefox browsers or Email clients.
Should you not have a DHCP server online to assign an IP address (and you cannot connect to email and www).
Setting IP in Damn Small Linux (only required if you are booting directly off an iso on a CD)
In the absence of a DHCP server on the network to automatically dole out IP addresses, you will be required to configure an IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS addressed manually.
Here is how:
First determine an available IP you can borrow; This can be determined by running the ‘ipconfig /all’ command from a DOS prompt on any PC on the network. Be sure to note the ‘Default Gateway’, ‘’Subnet Mask’ and ‘DNS Server’, while you are there you will need them later).
If the IP for your network is 192.168.1.x, you can replace ‘x’ with anything between 2 and 254. Choose a high IP that hopefully won’t be used say 192.168.1.245.
To be absolutely sure ping the IP you intend to use otherwise you will cause an IP conflict in the network that will alert everyone on the wire and the Admin will hunt you down like a dog and gut you.
1) Right click anywhere in the desktop and click ‘System’
2) Click ‘Net Setup’ then ‘Netcardconfig’
3) In ‘Use DHCP broadcast?’ click No
4) In the following page you will enter your desired IP address. Backspace and
5) Enter your desired IP on local network.
6) Click ok and the next page asks for the ‘Subnet mask’ you copied in step 5, this is almost always 255.255.255.0 unless you are on a large network over 250 PCs.
7) Accept the Broadcast it looks like your IP ending in 255 e.g. 192.168.1.255, click ok
8) Next is the ‘Default Gateway’ this you grabbed from ‘ipconfig /all’ like the network IP.
9) Next is ‘Please enter Name Server’, this is the ‘DNS Server’ IP you copied earlier.
10) Click Ok and you are done. Check by opening a web page.